NT Government information for parents of pregnant or parenting students and the support they will receive to continue their education. If your child is pregnant or parenting and is of compulsory school age they must remain in school. Your child’s school will:
- arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s options to continue their education
- discuss what your child wants to achieve and their career goals
- discuss and develop a flexible learning plan for your child
- give you a copy of the flexible learning plan for you and your child to sign
- regularly review the plan with you to ensure it is meeting your child’s goals.
Programs not now available to young parents:
A new program of supports for young pregnant women and young parents was announced in August 2015 and there is a Pregnant and Parenting Education Support Program through Open Education Centre, which is based in Rapid Creek and largely online. Phone 08 8922 2292.
The NT Department of Education advises that [all] Northern Territory Government schools support the ongoing education of pregnant and parenting students in alignment with the Northern Territory Education Act. Pregnant and parenting students of compulsory school age are required to remain engaged in school, and schools have a responsibility to ensure access to an education. The first step suggested is to talk with your school so you can negotiate a plan that suits your needs.