You are invited to our two-day symposium
What it takes – Engaging pregnant and parenting young people
We have a great lineup of speakers and Di Farmer, Queensland State Minister for Child Safety, Youth & Women will open the symposium.
Our headline speaker: Megan Mitchell
Megan is Australia’s National Children’s Commissioner – a powerful advocate whose focus is solely on the rights and interests of children, and the laws, policies and programs that impact on them. In 2017 she conducted an 8-month investigation into how to improve outcomes for young parents and their children – see here.
There is so much we can – and should – be doing to support teenage parents and the 8,500 babies born to teen mothers in Australia each year.Megan Mitchell
Our keynote speakers
- Professor Iain Hay, Macquarie University,
- Dr Angelique Howell and Dr Deb Lynch University of Queensland
- Tiara Ruua & Joanne Furminger, Institute of Urban Indigenous health.
Our aims are to
- bring together people from around Australia who provide support services
- hear from young people – their experiences, aspirations and successes
- challenge state and federal governments and schools to better meet the needs of these young people
- Young parents – graduates from STEMM like Emily and Amanda – will tell us what worked for them.
- School principals and policy makers will tell us what can be done. (Emily & Hazen)
Our breakout sessions
- how to run a campaign
- pregnancy options
- domestic violence
- health care (Talking Realities)
- Parents Next
- understanding the effects of trauma
Date: Thursday 8th and Friday 9th August 2019
Venue: Maroochy RSL Events Centre
Address: Memorial Avenue, Maroochydore Qld
Cost: $200 or $70 for students & unwaged
Included: lunch and morning tea both days
Closing date for booking: 15 July 2019
Please pass this on to people you know may be interested and call us on 0407 594 319 if you have any questions or have difficulty in booking. For those with babies, we will have a mums and bubs room at the venue.
Beautiful Maroochydore is on the Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane. The Sunshine Coast Airport is 9.6km from the venue and the cost by taxi is ~$30.
See here for accommodation within walking distance of the Maroochy RSL. All are close to the river, the beach and the Sunshine Plaza Shopping Centre.
Photos – top: Amanda & Bailey, bottom: Emily & Hazen